close The Biltmore House, the main house on the Biltmore estate, is a mansion built by George Washington Vanderbilt II between 1889 and 1895 and is the largest privately owned house in the United States, at 178,926 square feet and featuring 250 rooms. Still owned by the Vanderbilt's descendants, it stands today as one of the most prominent remaining examples of the Gilded Age, and of significant gardens in the French and English Landscape garden styles in the United States. In 2007, it was ranked eighth in "America's Favorite Architecture" by the American Institute of Architects.
close The Ramble Preview Center provides a new paradigm of design ethics for an extension of the Olmstead-designed Biltmore Forest. The building’s entry and wings are arranged to visually connect the users with the land. This 3,500 square-foot sales center will eventually serve other uses.
close The Jackson Building is notably one of Asheville’s architectural gems. Completed in 1924, it was the first skyscraper to be built in Western North Carolina. Real estate developer L. B. Jackson commissioned Ronald Greene to design the Neo-Gothic style skyscraper to promote his faith in the continued strength of the 1920s local real estate market.
close With this school a commitment was made to student health, energy efficiency and state of the art technology to raise the bar for educational facilities in Buncombe County. Roof monitors provide daylighting for every classroom. Passive solar collectors provide heat for kitchen hot water. Roof water is stored for site irrigation and gardens. The building teaches energy efficient strategies to current and future generations. A sense of discovery is fostered in the design of this school, including a representation of the planets, the Pythagorean theory at a very large scale, sun dial on the south wall and a collector that indicates plainly in the building interior the arrival of the equinox in March and September. In addition to traditional recreational space, Eblen extends their programs onto the campus into outdoor classrooms that include outdoor art display, garden classrooms, amphitheatre and dual classrooms that straddle the “western hemisphere” engraved in the main entry concrete.
close After the original courthouse burned down in the 1920s, James J. Baldwin designed a new courthouse for Murphy, to be clad in local marble, which was completed in 1927. Recent updates designed by Clark Patterson Lee consist of renovations of the historic building and 24,000 thousand square feet of three-story additions. Existing exterior upgrades included re-pointing the locally quarried marble, replacing terra cotta, adding accessible ramps, and complete window replacement. Interior systems were completely upgraded, elevators added, along with expanding court/county operations. The plan was to respect and not overwhelm the historically significant courthouse.
close Urban Capital, LLC, a group of area investors, purchased and announced multi-million dollar renovation plans for the former First Union building located at 82 Patton Avenue on Pritchard Park in downtown Asheville. Chuck Tessier, president and owner of Tessier Associates, Inc., and John Rogers, FAIA, principal of Rogers Chenevert Architects will serve as managing partners for the development.
close Twelve room inn and cabin with a 40-seat dining facility on a 100-acre site near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Master Plan included 8 additional rooms near the inn, as well as 12 individual cabins on remote sites.
close The S & W Cafeteria was designed by Douglas D. Ellington in 1928. Built in an art deco style, the 2-story building features detailed tile work of geometric shapes in blue, cream, green and black. The Art Deco theme continues inside in the elegant large dining space whose two story open interior is decorated with a refined geometrically patterned ceiling, wall panels and glittering chandeliers. Today the S&W is home to a fine dining restaurant specializing in Steak and Wine.
close This welcome center is for a zip line canopy tour in one of the richest centers of biodiversity in the eastern United States.The building reflects the ideology of Navitat conceptually and functionally, and prepares patrons for the exhilaration and contemplation that they are about to experience. The building was inspired by the genius of the simple horse barn which provides shelter from the elements in its center, and services flanking the sides. The welcome center is organized in three volumes situated upon a plinth that is nestled into the sloping site. In response to the curve of the cove the building’s volumes rotate 5 degrees around the center of the rain garden. The interplay of the angles in the plan spawns a roof that is reflective of two leaves overlaying each other. The translucent clerestory filters the light in a way that is reminiscent of the canopy of the forest.
close The YMI Cultural Center was abandoned and in disrepair in 1981 when Architectural Design Studio undertook the renovation of the landmark building. Reconstruction of many of the building’s components were required for stabilization. After nearly 10 years of work with community groups, minority contractors, laborers and an assortment of construction teams the building was finished in 1989. The building features meeting space, exhibit space, assembly space, stage and offices for community use. The original Young Men's Institute building was designed by Richard Sharp Smith, supervising architect for Richard Morris Hunt, architect for George Vanderbilt’s Biltmore estate. The two story pebbledash and brick building stands as a cornerstone for the reconstruction of an African- American downtown community. The YMI is the oldest African American Community Center in the country. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
close The Rankin Press Lofts consist of 5 buildings dating from the early 1900’s through 1950, joined over time. Originally built for Miller Press Company, and later housing an A&P grocery store and Daniels Graphics, renovations blocked in original storefront openings and created a maze of interior spaces. Anchored between two thriving Asheville businesses, this redevelopment project has brought back vitality to the rest of the block on both Lexington and Rankin Avenues. Rankin Press Lofts consists of 13 residential condos and 5 retail shops. Each building had its own structural system, providing challenges in creating a cohesive layout. Two contemporary floors were added to the Rankin side and original openings in the historic façade were restored. All new systems (plumbing, mechanical, electrical, sprinkler, elevator) were installed meeting modern comforts and life safety requirements.
close This project establishes both aesthetic and planning directions for the Millennial Campus. The building form is a response to topography in plan and section, and houses five departments: Nursing, Health Sciences, Physical Therapy, Social Work, and Communication Sciences and Disorders.
close Basilica of Saint Lawrence
close Claxton Elementary School was built in 1922 and is the oldest continuously operating school in Buncombe County. It is currently an Arts & Humanities magnet school for the Asheville City School system. The building had fallen into disrepair over the years and was in need of upgrading to provide 20th Century technologies and programs. Architectural Design Studio created a new bus drop-off on the north side of the property connected with the new wing. Limited renovations in the old school building made it possible to relocate all of the enrichment classrooms to the ground floor level for access by the youngest students. New work included the replacement of the old, undersized dining hall and kitchen. The existing building was stripped and completely refinished, wing by wing, while the school continued to operate.
close The Asheville High School campus has grown steadily over its long history, increasing pressure on the existing support facilities, such as the cafeteria. This new cafeteria provides over double the former dining space, triple the kitchen space, and is better located for both student and service access. The building is sited to reinforce the primary axis through the campus, which begins at the entry to the original 1927 school building, and travels through the media center and past the new cafeteria to the performing arts building. The colors and textures for building materials were selected to tie the building visually to the other buildings along the campus axis. A covered porch for outdoor dining overlooks a new landscaped plaza at the heart of the campus. The spacious dining hall includes exposed wood trusses and large windows offering views of the campus.